This summer has been a steady adventure. Along with the constant search for a job, my "discussions" with my dad over whether I'm using the best methods to look for jobs, or my own struggle to decide what exactly I am interested in, most immediate, most dramatically different aspect of this summer came with moving back home.
It hasn't been the easiest thing in the world to move back in with my parents. My mom turned my room into a study when I moved out, reasonably since I took my furniture to the house I rented at school, and I won't let her go through the trouble of rearranging the house to bring my furniture back in. Its my way of reminding myself that this is temporary, and I will get a job somewhere soon.
Having been away at college and been working and spending time with my friends, I forgot some of the routine aspects of living with parents. For example, my mother sings and whistles in the shower, she goes to sleep really early, and she wakes up really early (and expects the rest of us to do so too). Laundry is going almost constantly. And they actually separate the lights and the darks, a rarity for me when I was at school. My dad actually stays up as late as I do, or maybe its vice versa. Most nights my roommates were asleep way before me. Oh, we actually eat meat other than chicken. I didn't get too creative with meat at school. Chicken was foolproof.
One night since I've been home, Mama was annoyed at Evan and drilling me on where he was and what he was doing. I'd only seen him for a short while that day, but I didn't understand why it was such a big deal if he was at a friend's house swimming. I forgot that highschoolers, yes even recent graduates, actually check in with their parents! Honestly, I just haven't thought about calling to tell them where I was, what I was doing, or what time I'd be home. Pretty sure they wouldn't have welcomed phone calls at 2 a.m. telling them I'm headed home from a friend's house.
Basically, I've realized that I was actually rather independent. And while for now I'll enjoy not having a rent payment, utilities bill, or groceries to worry about, I loved living on my own and am looking forward to the time when I will be able to again.
No comments:
Post a Comment