Oh, excuse me, they are more commonly referred to as pull-out sofas. But, you see, couch-bed is a little more accurate a description of the pieces of furniture that have been a constant in the past four years of my life.
It all started with God's couch. Yes, God's couch, at God's school, with God's pond. Or at least that's how my first suitemate referred to what is now my alma mater. At CSU, my roommate and I had a black futon where many a vent was fumed, a epiphany shared, a Chinese delivery night held. It caught many tears of both laughter and pain. It was a good futon....
Now it catches sweaty laundry in my brother's dorm room.
Oh, I almost forgot, it did endure a week in the dorm hallway at CSU. That one semester when our housing staff didn't have the supplies to bunk the beds in our dorm for a couple of weeks, my roommate and I had a desks in a corner, beds lined parallel, and after a night of exiling it to the hallway, a futon too! And in the meantime one of our best friends was caught in a housing limbo and needed a place to stay for a week or two. Voila, couch bed #1.
Couch bed #2 came into my life during my second year of college. Some of you may remember how, hmmm...how shall I say it? Over-occupied and under-rested... Ok, fine, I was exhausted and didn't sleep enough. Anyways, the previously mentioned best friend, Hannah Rose, was able to find a great house to rent. Her living room had a green couch and a tan futon in it. Her house was the only place I could distant myself enough from my stress to actually sleep, and I fell asleep many many times on that futon.
The next year, I was incredibly blessed to be able to move in with her and another good friend, Amanda. Despite bringing a bed with me, I still fell asleep many times on that futon.
During that year, I had a brief stint with another couch bed. My other best friend had a huge futon. Laura, her roommate, and I would have the normal intense honors students/business major study sessions complete with some form of chocolate, excel spreadsheets, and the occasional break to plan our futures and peruse grad school rankings. I received the email from Samaritan's Purse informing me that I didn't get their internship during one of those nights, but that futon saw us from the fears of college seniors about to enter a world not quite ready for them to the excitement of graduation day. That would have to be couch bed #3.
Couch bed #4, ah, home sweet home. I moved home this past summer and convinced my parents to leave my old bedroom, now the guest room, as they had it. My furniture went into our storage shed, and my head went on the pull-out sofa. It served it's purpose those four months.
Couch bed #5 was in my life for the shortest amount of time, but it still was quite special. I went back to visit friends in Charleston and ended up being able to spend a few days with Amanda helping her move. She had sold all her furniture from our house, and so we went on a grand adventure searching Charleston's thrift stores for the greatest finds. We found a pull-out sofa for somewhere between $15 and $25, and with the help of our new friends at the thrift store (who made sure we knew that they stayed late just because they wanted to help these two crazy girls) wedged this sofa into Amanda's little
Honda CR-V.
Ok, maybe you're already hoping I didn't actually sleep on this couch. But wait. We had experience recovering a couch once before, so on a whim, we called up our future business partner and friend Logan to see if he wanted to help out again. He and his wife came over, and between the four of us, a few sheets, some pins, and a nail gun we had a beautiful new couch. And yes, after a thorough spraying of Lysol and despite Logan's warnings that it was "an aids couch," I slept just fine on couch bed #6.
Which brings me to my current pallet....couch bed #7. With such small apartments, it is really common in Moldova to have a fold-out sofa for a bed. Mine is covered in blankets and quite comfortable. Which is good, because I'm here for a year :)
No comments:
Post a Comment