I interviewed for a job this week that I would really love to get. I hope this adventure comes full circle, and I receive the job, but regardless this has been an encouraging and exciting process. God was evident every step of the way bringing along the right people with the right words at the right time. It really is so cool. Each time I retell the story to a friend, I grow excited all over again. Not just at the prospect of this amazing opportunity, but at the faithfulness of God. Who knows if this is perhaps the reason he still has me in DC? I have certainly begged and pleaded for clarity and for the door to open to just leave this area, if that was his will. Finally, the answer seemed to be "wait."
For an impatient, passionate, idealist this was HARD. Really hard. Really really hard.
There were many moments of wrestling with why: why here, why not now, why must I wait???
But God is good, and he is faithful.
Some friends and I are doing a study of the book of Esther. It has challenged and encouraged me to look for God not to flash a neon sign saying "HERE. NOW. DO THIS." But to look for him in the midst of it, and to wait for him to unfold his plan.
As we've gone through the study, written by Beth Moore, we have identified seven statments on why it's "Tough being a woman." As we reach the climax of the story of Esther, where Queen Esther finally tells the King of the plot to kill her people, we see a reversal of destinies. At the same time in the study, we take the seven phrases and flip them around to be conquered by the truth of the Gospel.
My personal favorite: "It's tough being a woman who can balance passion with patience."
The truth of the Gospel is revealed in Isaiah 30:18.
"Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"Beth explained that the Hebrew for "longs for" and "wait" is the same word, so there must be a connection in the meaning. She made he profound statement that longing is inherent in waiting. It there was no desire for something, the we would simply be watching time move by. This was incredibly freeing for me to realize.
And most importantly, she explained that God is also longing as well.
"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9Also 2 Timothy 2:13, "If we are faithless, yet he remains faithful - for he cannot deny himself."
Beth made the comment that God's patience always involves his passion.
How reassuring to know that it is a good thing to have a longing for something more, and that my God is longing too. And how sweet to know that he sees his promises through.
Hallelujah!
I am so incredibly blessed. With or without this prospective job, I will praise him. My hope is secure, my purpose is sure. My life will not be mediocre, because it rests in his hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment